MANAGER OF MISCELLANY
Remote – Part-time Position
Circus Mobility believes that circus can make us better people and that culture-making has the power to save the world. Seriously. The company’s mission is to cultivate feminist community and aerial practice by providing aerialists and pole dancers with:
- innovative and well-researched tools to help them refine technique, increase longevity, and nail their dream skills;
- brave spaces to collaborate, express, relate, and promote disobedience; and
- compassionate expert coaching that not only generates results but also inspires risk-taking, autonomy, and mastery.
We are growing and want to hear from progressive thinkers who believe in equality and change, and who love animals (especially cats).
Circus Mobility is looking for a Manager of Miscellany to assist Jessica John, the Chief Executive Officer. The ideal candidate has a passion for helping people connect through circus and achieve their circus goals. They are highly detail-oriented and communicative of their needs, demonstrate excellent judgment and critical thinking skills, and are willing to learn on the job.
This role involves tactful client-facing interactions, collaboration with a team of coaches, and one-on-one calls with Jessica. The ability to thrive within a dynamic organization is essential, as is the willingness to balance shifting priorities with patience and flexibility.
This position would involve keeping the trains running using our company project management tool, managing a company email address, and the foresight and awareness needed to protect Jessica’s time to make sure she has the space she needs to be creative.
This hourly position requires a minimum commitment of 8 hours per week, working remotely as an independent contractor with very flexible hours, albeit with tangible weekly and monthly deadlines. Salary starts at $23/hr with regular performance reviews and potential for increases.
HOW YOU’LL SPEND YOUR TIME
- Updating sales logs, client directories, and content in courses, certifications, and membership areas.
- Drafting weekly emails to the Circus Mobility community from a template, while maintaining a brand voice.
- Moderating community interactions, and editing and posting video content within The Parish membership.
- Coordinating collaborations with external partners like coaches and webinar/podcast guests.
- Assisting members of our programs by answering questions, scheduling calls, conducting feedback sessions, etc.
- Scheduling community events, such as webinars or workshops.
- Booking travel for CEO and possibly for other members on the team.
- Aiding in member onboarding, offboarding, and retention strategies.
- Creating SOPs for all systems and transition documents.
- Assisting the CEO with special ad hoc projects.
- Other duties as they are developed or adapted to meet the changing needs of a growing company.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of one year of experience as an executive assistant, virtual assistant, manager, or similar.
- Experience creating and following agendas, addressing action items, taking direction, adhering to deadlines, and completing tasks.
- Attention to detail. Excellent writing, editing, and listening skills. Accurate record-keeping.
- Ability to work independently, think critically, and perform under time-pressure.
- Demonstrate excellent judgment when handling problems. Experience managing confidential information.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, client-focused environment. Superb interpersonal skills and ability to work with clients in a professional manner electronically and over Zoom.
- High level of demonstrated computer skills, such as CRM, databases, messaging systems, websites, and capability to learn new software applications (e.g., Kajabi, Zapier, WordPress, Patreon, TrueCoach, Slack, Discord, etc.)
- Proficiency in a project management software platform (Airtable, Monday, Trello, Asana, etc.).
- Basic skills with video editing software and rudimentary graphic design (e.g., Adobe Spark Video, Adobe Premiere Rush, Adobe Photoshop, Canva, etc.).
- Experience in the circus industry as either a coach or client.
- Fluency in English.
PREFERENCE FOR CANDIDATES WHO
- Are interested in growing with Circus Mobility.
- Have experience with online coaching as either a coach or client.
- Have some experience in podcast production.
Queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
About Jessica John, the CEO
Jessica John is the founder and CEO of Circus Mobility. She is a coach and mentor to performance artists across the globe. With over 30 years of high-level sport experience, Jessica is a premier skill acquisition specialist for circus artists and pole dancers, from Cirque du Soleil professionals trying to stay healthy on tour to committed enthusiasts trying to fit in training between careers and kids. She draws from her own remarkably rich movement background as a circus artist, dancer, and competitive athlete, as well as a former career as an intelligence officer and lawyer, to offer a unique opportunity to learn what it takes to reach high performance goals. Read Jessica’s full bio here.
About Circus Mobility
Circus Mobility began as a destination for high-level technical and sport performance coaching, 1:1 coaching, and classes. Over the past three years, it has expanded to offer a membership, group coaching programs, high-touch 1:1 hybrid offers, a mentorship program for aerial coaches, and business coaching for aerial coaches. In 2023, we will be launching new business coaching offers and a certification, expanding our DIY products, and scaling current offers.
As a new, quickly growing company, we stand by our company’s values:
- Boldness – Be a few steeps in front of the field and model new ways of working.
- Expertise – Be known as the best at what we do.
- Connection – Create and curate brave spaces that encourage dialogue and foster true belonging. (We recognize difference and hold each person accountable to do the work of sharing experiences and coming to new understandings.)
- Autonomy – Promote ownership over the client’s journey and learning.
- Integrity – Be real. (Our online presence accurately reflects our and the client’s experience.)
- Impact – Empower clients to be wildly successful and disobedient AF to the systems that hold them back.
We hire the best talent, make sure they have the tools and training they need, and provide them the freedom they need to crush their role. If you are responsible, self-motivated, and want to work with others who go above and beyond, you’ll love working and growing with our team.
We approach remote work with the expectation that we will all do what we’ve committed to with consideration and support for others on the team. We constantly adjust our process to create efficiencies.
Our feminism is explicitly intersectional & working toward prioritizing women of color, queer, trans and nonbinary folks, and other marginalized communities. We have a zero-tolerance policy for transphobia, racism, anti-Blackness, homophobia, classism, ableism, & body shaming. We value you for who you are and for your unique contributions to our team and company.
PERKS OF THE JOB
FLEXIBLE WORK SCHEDULE
Being at your desk doesn’t mean you are being productive. Outside of meetings on your calendar, you work when you work. So take long walks, start early, or work late…. Our expectation is only that you communicate your schedule with us and get your job done on time.
WORK FROM ANYWHERE
We encourage a work from anywhere environment. So long as you have an internet connection, are on time, and get your job done, travel away!
FREE CLASSES & TUTORIALS
We encourage you to take our online classes for free. You will receive access to The Parish as a part of this position.
OTHER COURSES & CERTIFICATIONS
Looking at a certification or an online course that applies towards your career? Love it. We’re open to working with you to afford furthering your expertise! Make your case, let’s talk!
How To apply
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “MANAGER OF MISCELLANY” and a resume attached. Be sure to include in the email: (1) why you want this position; (2) how you meet the qualifications; and (3) how this position fits into your long-term career goals.